On May 1, 1967 Elvis Presley married 21-year-old Priscilla Ann Beaulieu. Elvis was one of the world’s biggest movie stars and his wedding resulted in a pile of broken hearts.At that time of his wedding the 32-year-old was the world’s top-earning entertainer.
The couple first met eight years earlier, when he was stationed in Germany with the army and she lived on a military base with her Air Force Captain father. The two began seeing each other. “It was a very innocent time,” she later said, “We still had morals, very high standards.” Presley proposed with a three carat diamond in December 1966.
10 things you might not know about the wedding of Priscilla & Elvis Presley
1. The wedding was held in a private suite at the Aladdin Hotel in Las Vegas, a civil ceremony that was arranged by Elvis’s manager Colonel Tom Parker.
2. The ceremony only lasted 8 minutes. Elvis reportedly requested that the word “obey” be removed from their otherwise traditional marriage vows.
3. Surprisingly Elvis didn’t wear a costume during his own wedding. He opted for a black brocade silk tuxedo and Western boots.
4. Priscilla designed her own beaded chiffon gown. It was trimmed in pearls and she wore a three-foot veil and a rhinestone crown.
5. The only celebrity on the guest list was comedian Redd Foxx. “It’s the best thing that ever happened … to me,” he said of the ceremony.
6. The couple’s six-tier wedding cake cost a reported $22,000 in today’s dollars, which was more than the price tag of an average Chevrolet in 1967. “The cake itself was a yellow sponge cake,” Aladdin Hotel pastry chef Denis Martig recalled. “Each layer was filled twice with apricot marmalade and a kirsch [liqueur] flavored Bavarian cream … glazed with fondant icing and decorated with royal icing and marzipan roses.”
7. The ceremony was held at 9 a.m. The reception a featured a $10,000 breakfast buffet, complete with roast suckling pig, oysters Rockefeller, lobster, champagne … and Southern fried chicken.
8. The couple’s first dance was to “Love Me Tender.”
9. Their only child, daughter Lisa Marie, was born EXACTLY nine months after their wedding day, on February 1, 1968.
10. They were divorced in 1973.